Baby Safe Audit
BABY SAFE AUDIT
When we think about keeping our baby safe we tend to think about keeping the bleach out of reach, saucepan handles turned in, fingers out of power outlets and knives away from toasters but there are many more hazards lurking in the home that you may not have thought about.
A BABY SAFE AUDIT is designed to enable you to make safer choices and to make you feel confident you are giving your baby the best start. Once you know what to look for it is easy to create a safe home for your baby.
Prevention is always better than the cure. Learning how to manage the environmental factors which affect health empowers mothers and gives peace of mind knowing you are controlling the things that you can.
The BABY SAFE AUDIT involves:
Electromagnetic Field Testing:
- A qualified Building Biologist & EMR consultant will use a Gauss meter to measure the Magnetic fields coming from power lines, household wiring and appliances. Electric field testing will be measured with a Body Voltage Kit. A Stetzermeter is used to evaluate ‘dirty electricity’ in a home. A High Frequency Analyser will be used to detect radiofrequency radiation coming from all wireless devices and mobile phone towers in the area. Practical solutions for any EMR issues will be suggested.
Carbon monoxide testing
- All gas appliances will be tested if necessary.
- If you have concerns about lead in the home testing can be done. Paint or suspect toys are the most common problems. One lead test is included in the audit. Any additional lead testing is $20 per sample.
- A moisture meter will be used to measure the propensity for mould growth. You will learn the best way to clean mould and to prevent it from growing. Mould sampling is available upon request for an additional fee of $150 per sample. The samples need to be sent to a lab for analysis. This is useful if you suspect a mould issue as this will confirm the type of mould and how prevalent it is.
Nursery/Children’s bedroom inspection
- A thorough look at all potential health hazards in the bedroom will be conducted. Building materials, toys and the most appropriate bedding for your child will be discussed. You will be advised on the best way to manage all the possible sources of allergens. Particular attention will be given to Electromagnetic Fields in this room.
- All baby products will be analysed and discussed. Cleaning Products will also be analysed. You will learn how to read labels and decipher the ‘green washing’.
- An assessment of your pantry and fridge will be done. You will learn which foods or brands to avoid and what to look for when you go to the supermarket. An assessment of your cookware and food storage containers will be undertaken and safer alternatives discussed. Our water can contain heavy metals, pesticides, antibiotics, pharmaceuticals, parasites, THM’s, chloramines and much more. You will learn about the contaminants in water and will be advised on the most suitable water filtration system for your family’s needs.
Water Quality Testing
- A water quality test can be conducted for an additional $45
- Outdoor sources of pollution will be assessed.
The audit will take about 3 hours. Payment is required prior to commencement of the audit. An informal report will be emailed to you summarising the findings and the recommendations. Should you require a comprehensive formal report please inform us prior to the audit as this will be an additional charge.